Sunday, June 11, 2006


Did y'all do your part and participate in Knit in Public Day? I'm hanging my head in shame, for I did not. Oh, I knitted, but home and alone. These sleeves are in that phase where they never seem to grow.


B came home tonight! He looks tired and is already in bed. The girls were all very excited to see him.

I pulled lots of weeds this weekend. Another week or two of work should have the
yard back into shape. While uncoiling a hose from winter storage I found an abandoned bird's nest. Many of the bird nests we find are lined with horse hair. Our neighbor keeps 6 or 7 next door so there is an abundant supply for the birdies. I just hope the birds don't take the hair directly from the horsies, ouch!

We have three apple trees in our yard and the big, old one is full of little green apples! The other two were only planted last year so they'll be forgiven for pre-adolescent barrenness. But barring heavy winds, blight, etc. we should be set. Two years ago our freezer was packed with apple pies and I dried apples and canned applesauce until the smell made me nauseous. Then last year we barely had enough apples for one pie.
I also picked my first batch of strawberries today! They are already cleaned and in the freezer. Usually about mid-summer there is a week or two of hardcore jam and jelly making.

Hope everyone had a great weekend. Cheers!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmh - I checked your blog 10 mins ago and this entry wasn't here then, so it seems I'll be a speed commenter today :)
I also didn't participate in Knit in Public Day unfortunately - suppose balcony knitting doesn't count? Though a lot of neighbors saw me, LOL :)
It seems you're stranded a bit on sleeve island - but they look so absolutely gorgeous already, I'm sure they'll be done in an instant now! Marvellous cabling!
And gosh, I can't believe how yummy your apples look - I totally love sour, green apples, so I suppose I'd grab them in an instant and have a good bite :)

9:24 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Cute bird's nest. One year we found one a bird had made inside my son's bike helmet which was inside our garage! I guess it looked cozy.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Coleen said...

Those sleeves look beautiful! It may be going slowly, but it looks worth the trouble!

Those apples look YUMMY!

7:36 AM  
Blogger Gina House said...

YUM! Your apples look delicious! Was just thinking of making homemade strawberry jam....I love that. I did knit in public, but didn't see anyone else doing it...darn! Have a great week!

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the sleeves of the sweater are so beautiful. I want a picture modeled. You can wait until you're done, though. I forgot to mention, we have had the jam you sent. OMG, it is wonderful. You have the gift. Not too sweet, just right. It is wonderful. I wish I could keep enough raspberries to make something. We eat every single one. Maybe in a year or two there will be too many to eat.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

My goodness we have more in common than first thought - we both love nests. I love that yours are lined with horse hair. :o) I'm slowly catching up with all my blog reading, but have to say I'm loving the socks and the cables. Looking forward to catching up properly!!

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home