Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Well howdy and welcome to 2007! The week between Christmas and New Year's Eve was a whirlwind of activity (hence the lack of blogging, etc.). Karen and Kelly (her DH) stopped by sans kidlets for an overnight playdate. Her recent acquisition of some lovurly Trekking XXL sock yarn and dps led to some quality knitting and visiting time. She cast on her first pair of socks which promise to be warm and beautiful. And she WILL NOT succomb to Second Sock Syndrome or I shall nag her relentlessly.


On New Year's Eve we had our traditional Game Night. This year we had some different faces at the table. Several dear friends were ill or otherwise unable to attend. And there was the welcome addition of the Quast family. Mr. Q. was the realtor who worked so hard to find us our new home. He has a daughter who now plays frequently with my three.


And after a 10 year "vacation" home with my kids I'm now looking for work outside the home. Putting together a resume is proving challenging. My education is limited to a Bachelor's Degree in English and Sociology... no teacher certifications and no Master's Degree and no technical certifications. Six years of military service operating what is now outdated communication equipment doesn't seem marketable either. So today I'll attempt to meld past skills with creativity, practicality and mommy wisdom to produce a "Wow, hire me!" document. The result may be suitable for lining the bottom of our parakeet's cage, but it's a start.


On the knitting front I've cast on a top-down, one piece cardigan in some red, Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino. I purchased this yarn last year, but since no patterns have reached out and grabbed me I've decided to just make my own. The yoke and bust will be solid with some tapering or shaping below the bustline. Then the bottom will be a lace pattern. There are several floral and column style laces l I'm still kicking around. The sleeve length will depend upon how much yarn I have.


11 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Oooo, a red sweater. And, you're designing it! You go girl. It's good to have you back after the holidays and busyness. As for the resume. Something will come up. Not as fast or as easy as you may need, but it will come. You have alot of people pulling for you.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Happy New Year!!! Don't worry - if any employer is smart, they will see your "hidden" skills and hire you right away. Love the start of the sweater. Making up your own pattern as you go?? How impressive!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the red!

Good luck with your CV. I'm sure you'll WOW them!

2:47 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Red is good. :o) Goodluck with the CV!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Ye Merrie Quilter said...

I saw Heide start this sweater and the yarn is yummy! I'd say "cranberry" red, but I think that would cause Heide to nervously twitch with memories of the bogs. :) I've gotten about 5" of my first sock done...Pictures will be posted once the "real" computer is back online.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Heide said...

Actually, I frogged the first sweater and this is the second attempt. The first was a pullover rather than a cardi and the neck was much more narrow. One of the dangers of making it up as you go is that you might need to "stop" unexpectedly. Ribbit, ribbit!

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year :o)

Good luck with the resume and job search - I'm sure there's something out there that will be a perfect fit.

Love the sweater! Of course, I'm a sucker for red ;o)

7:10 AM  
Blogger Knittymama said...

That red is stunning. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

8:31 AM  
Blogger V said...

Oh those degrees in sociology....they always scream "hire me!" don't they? Lol...I have one....I tend to call it my bachelor's in NOTHING...very existential, don't you think? Good luck! The sweater is looking great! My favorite color. :)

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for you, designing your own sweater! That is on my list of goals for '07.

Good luck with the job hunt.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These game nights sound so fun - what a great thing to do!
And I'm totally impressed that you're designing your own cardigan - my gosh, I've tried this so many times already as none of the patterns around seemed appealing to me - but I've never gotten far yet, I just seem to lack the inspiration and the knowledge to design such a big piece on my own! Thus I'm even more impressed by your ability to do so, and mind you, I can't wait to see the cardi when it's done!

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home