Wednesday, December 27, 2006


Oh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay
I sleep all night and I work all day




I don't know how the rest of you are feeling, but I'm ready to tear down the holiday trappings and wrap up 2006.

Christmas here was extremely low key. The girls each received roller skates from Santa so they've been in and out of the house ever since. My DH and I didn't exchange gifts because we're just thrilled to be in a new house. The girls were told ahead of time that we didn't have much money for presents, but none of them complained, whined or were otherwise ungrateful.

I always try to make something for them for Christmas. This year A1, A2 and A3 each chose what they wanted.


A1 is the fashion authority and resident clothes horse. And because a girl can never have too many accessories she requested a hat and fingerless mitt set. Here she is "working it." Oh, to be 10 and so self-assured.









A3 is a true girly girl. She adores anything pink and her passions fluctuate between My Little Pony and Strawberry Shortcake. Several toys must accompany us where ever we go, no matter how short the errand or trip. These toys are often left in the van, my purse or just plain lost . Now A3 has a pink backpack made just for her toys and there is a magnetic snap closure for added security.





As I blogged about last week, A2 requested a dolphin. Hours were spent searching for a knitted dolphin pattern, but to no avail. In desperation I even drove down to some Portland yarn (I hate driving, especially in heavy traffic). Then Fitknit sent me an email with a link to a knitted whale pattern with the idea that I could modify the whale and make a dolphin. The site, Aussie Jean's Toy Knitting , beheld many delightful patterns. And who should wander in while I was admiring her patterns but A2 herself. A2 thought the whale was okay, but she became enamoured with the dragon. As a result, gears were switched and this reptilian fantasy was began. Whew, it was quite a challenge to knit this in the allotted time. A2 fretted and "supervised" throughout the process. The dragon turned out much larger than I expected, but she loves it. Jean's patterns were easy to follow and very reasonably priced. Thank you Fitknit!
Now off to the grocery store. These people just won't stop eating! Thank heavens my parents loaned us a vehicle while we're waiting to get our transmission replaced. Cheers!

15 Comments:

Blogger Scoutj said...

I LOVE that top picture! And I'm with you sister about wrapping up this year. I'm exhausted!

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished taking my tree down. I was ready to take it down Christmas afternoon :)

Looks like you had a great Christmas and isn't it nice that A's 1,2, and 3 appreciate your knitting!

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but where's the slippers I asked for? My old ones have holes, and what my Cadigan Sweater you promised when I bought you that infernal KA-Nitting machine? Where's MY fingerless gloves, and willie warmer!!?? Seems like the only ones who get KA-nitted stuff is the people who don't ask for it, appreciate, or want it!!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Heide said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Heide said...

Dear Peewee, you know that the infernal ka-knitting machine only lasted two months before I ditched it in favor of creating more personal items for your enjoyment. Your slippers are just fine for a while longer, but if you keep whining then freshly knitted slippers will be bumped down on my "to-do" list. Furthermore, your gloves are also on my "to-do" list, but if impatience dictates then I suppose you could always buy a pair of those cheap assed stretchy mittens from the dollar store and cut the fingers off. Just think, then you'd have not 1, but 10 willie warmers in addition to your gloves. In other words, watch the kids so I can knit in peace or shaddup.

8:44 PM

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm at my in-law's house (aka, the Swamp...I'll tell ya when I get there!) but we're in need of directions to your place. I was going to google your address, but I don't HAVE your address with me. AHHH! So much for posting it on the fridge for convenience. I have your phone number, so I can call when we're on our way down, or you can call me--my home calls are being forwarded to the cell--but we have crap reception in the gully, so I'll try to call you when we get on the road. Love, Karen

9:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

FANTASTIC Dragon, Heide!

I'm so glad it all worked out. Your needles must have been on fire ;)

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems you had such a wonderful, quiet time for the holidays - but yep, I agree, it's time to be over and done with all that now and head on over to 2007 ;)
I *so* adore all the goodies you gave the girls, and most of all the dragon of course, what an amazing toy this is - and you knit it up so fast, wow! This is something very special and unique and I'm sure your little one is going to treasure this for a long, long time!

12:55 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm with you - I'd have my tree down today if it were up to me. But Pea pouted - so we'll keep it up until New Year's Day (usually it stays up until mid-Jan). Love all of the gifts you knit for the girls!!! I'm sure they were thrilled to pick out what they would get!

6:46 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

That picture is terrific. Saw in hand. Ready to go. The girls look so pleased with their new knit gifts. How nice to be so appreciated. And, I'm glad you have a vehicle. In the 'burbs it's a bear getting around without one. Take care!!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the lumberjack song reference - we need more of those don't you think? I agree - out tree is coming down as soon as the kids aren't looking.

The dragon is amazingly adorable.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one awsome dragon! I crocheted hubby yet another scarf and he loves them! the boys all have new hats and the next project is a sweater for my little pup, he's 2. Your house looks adorable heide so glad you and pee wee are happy there! :)

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo PeeWee, Heide's a hotty. If you don't want her 'cause 'o all her Ka-nitting (as you put it), then I'll take. She can Ka-nit all she wants. She could be doin' worse.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What awesome gifts! It's really great when kids get that Christmas is all about gifts from the heart - yours certainly do. ahhh..I miss the boys of Monty. I think I'll need to some silly walking today since I've been so inspired by the Lumberjack song. ;) Have a very happy New Year! hugs, kisses and bubbly stuff all around!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Happy New Year to you Heide!! I think your knitted gifts are just wonderful. Well done (pats on back all round I think!). Yeah I'm over Christmas too. My tree and all the decos were down on Boxing day. I'm a bit of a bah humbug I guess, but I was SO over it and ready for new challenges. Onward and upward in 2007! Hope you have a great one. Hugs.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home