Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Welcome Karen and a new contest.


My dear friend Karen has started her own blog! Hooray and welcome to Karen.

Knitty Mama is holding a fun contest. She wants to see if any of us knitters out there have knitting catastrophe stories that can equal or surpass her story of knitting an Anouk for her niece. Well Knitty Mama, here are some never-before-seen photos. I may have to enter a witness protection program after fessing up to these "boo boos".

This was a bad year for sweaters at "But Mom". First we have the multi-colored silk cardigan. The pattern came from my Noro book (I can't remember the title and I've since loaned the book to a friend). The silk is recycled sari yarn, hence the multiple colors and unusual textures. All went well until the blocking. I had no idea that silk would be so heavy and that the sleeves could stretch so much. Also, one of the thin spots broke and unravelled. Lessons learned from this project: first, use the recycled silk in conjunction with another yarn for strength and elasticity. Second, make something small that won't be worn, this shit's heavy. My daughter is modeling it and she is NOT happy about wearing this monstrocity.

Next we have the birthday-present-that-wasn't. This was supposed to be a lightweight summer cardi for my friend Karen (see above). It was made with Knitpicks Shadows using a pattern called "Stella". Once again, all looked well until the end. The sweater felted while blocking and it ended up being a strange, wonky shape which renders it unwearable. Because of the afore-mentioned felting this cannot be frogged. Sorry Karen, I have socks for you! Once again, A1 is thrilled to be photographed.

In addition to these I just frogged my attempt at Picovoli and there are 4 badly felted purses residing under the cardigans. Dang, that's a lot of fiber failings. Maybe I should take up another hobby. Cheers!




5 Comments:

Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Well, it looks like the contest is over but my story (one of several) is that the first sweater I ever knitted was a pattern from Vogue Knitting in around 1994. It was nice, heathery cream and black stripes. It had very deep ribbing to just under the bust. I knit it out of Wool-Ease from Woolworths (that really dates me). Anyway, finished the the pieces and set out to block it and blocked the ribbing. To the width of the sweater. With an acrylic blend. Needless to say, this sweater was never worn by a human being. And in fact, I tossed it. I'm kind of surprised I continued after that, but I did and have done much better since.

On other matters, I'm rather in a strange mood. One of our co-leaders in our Brownie Troop and one of the moms have decided to break off and start their own troop. Not in a schism sort of way, we're all friends, but it makes me feel odd. Like I should have done better. And with my paranoia, like maybe nobody wants me to be their daughter's leader. I feel rejected. Blech. I'll get over it and my other co-leader/best friend liked it when we were the queens of the universe anyway. But I will be sad to see these SUPER helpful moms go away and I really do love their girls, also. I was having a nice day. Oh, well. Plus they told us via email. I don't know what to think of that except it's easier than actually calling. Ho hum.

Hope you're having a better day than I.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

I think you are very brave putting these pics up, but you make me feel so much better. At least I know someone else knits up the odd disaster now and then too! :o) My doggy coat was my most recent knitted disaster area - I haven't been back to have another go at it yet. The horror is still lurking in the cupboard somewhere - I just can't bring myself to throw it out and it's too far gone to frog. Oh well - we learn by our mistakes right? (g)

5:44 PM  
Blogger Terby said...

You are very brave! I have many failures, which usually just get frogged or hidden in my closet. There's sweater number 1 and version 2, done in chunky blue yarn. Neither the pullover nor the cardigan version were particularly flattering on a plump figure. I used a nice acrylic/wool blend, knit on size 13 needles, and didn't know that it would grow and grow and grow.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh my, those are some knitting nightmares. I'm sure Picovoli will behave herself this time around though.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Your failings are proof positive that you are human. Yay! I still think you are an awesome knitter. My failings have been tossed. I can't stand to keep them around and keep looking at them (no sense of humor, I guess). A1 is too adorable and growing like a weed, isn't she?

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home