Friday, July 07, 2006

Catch Up Friday!

Hey there! Just a quick catch up from this corner of blogland.

First off, a HUGE welcome to Grace Caroline. She was born just two days ago in the land down under and now Terri of Lilypily Yarns is a proud grandma! Grace is just beautiful and you'll notice that she's sporting a lovely hat made by none other than Grandma Terri herself!

Next in news blogland is the announcement of another YARN CONTEST! The ever-busy and extremely talented Ferg is holding a contest. Ferg is a retired school teacher who has noticed a trend or dynamic in the English Language towards simplification. Among her observations is the dwindling use of adverbs, hence her contest.

I'm after the BEST use of the adverb "best". In order to show how you know it's an adverb, you have to use it in a sentence and then let me know that you know it's an adverb by telling what it's describing.

1)I shall give the contest till the 16th July. Ten days should be enough.

2)Answers can be sent as comments to this posting and I will repeat the BEST three in a new posting after the 16th.

3) Anyone can tell everyone about the contest because I'll need all the publicity I can get if I want more than three or four responses!

Gillian will personally hand dye yarn and mail it to whomever provides her the most creative answer (correctly used of course). It's been quite some time since I was in school and although I always detested sentence diagramming, etc. the incentive of beautiful yarn makes this sound like a fun challenge.

I'm pretty much ready for next week's Girl Scout Day Camp. Here's a picture of our flag...
I finished it last night except for the name tags. The girls will have to come up with their own camp names and stick those on the giraffes.

I'm looking forward to this annual adventure with the exception of the overnight camping part. My almost 39-year-old body doesn't take kindly to a night of sleeping on the ground anymore. Cripes, getting old rots.


In yesterday's mail my P.S. Sock Club yarn came from Mama-E! Talk about some gorgeous purple yarn. Here's a picture of it with some of the non-dead flowers left in my long-neglected garden. I can't wait to start some grape-a-licious socks with this yummy yarn named "Beauregard" (as in Violet Beauregard from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory).


While I've been preparing for next week my girls have been pre-occupying themselves in the pool and with other backyard activities. Not exactly the most exciting summer on record, but not terrible by any means either.

B is running between school and a temporary graveyard job. The poor feller doesn't have any time to relax, but we hope that the classes will enable him to find a great job with benefits and decent hours. Medical insurance is very underrated. I'm still trying to figure out how to finance medication for the two of us. We found a program for the girls. But I won't dwell on the long and sordid details of this endeavor.

In the evenings I've been knitting a few rows here and there before falling asleep. Currently on the needles is a Picovoli sweater. I'm using some Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino and size 2 Addi-turbo circs. for this. The yarn is soft and delightful to work with. And although I love Addi-turbos, they are almost too slippery to use with this smooth yarn. Being a tightwad prevents me from purchasing another pair of bamboo circulars though.

Hope everyone is doing well. I see that Cindy's poison-ivy has cleared up enough for her to start spinning again! Cheers.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

You are one very busy lady. I wish you well on the contest. I wouldn't doubt for a minute that you'll win. I do love the PS yarn that Mama E dyed. It is so pretty. Also, great job on the flag. You are a very talented artistic type, ya know? Give B a big hug for me. Poor dude. Keep a hug for yourself. And the girls look quite happy in the pool. Exciting is not always the way to go. Happy or content seem pretty darned good. Take care.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I love that camp flag - so cute!!! And I was particularly interested in your Picovoli - I just cast on for one this morning. I hope it looks as good as yours. The Beauregard yarn is pretty too - and your garden doesn't look dead at all!

1:34 PM  
Blogger sheep#100 said...

I posted an entry - thanks.

The pool looks so refreshing.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

I thought camp was this week. Glad you had more time to prepare!

We live in California and the whole family qualifies for Medi-Cal because of the kids. Sorry if that's not true in WA, but check and make sure. It even covers our dental and vision!

Cake looks great. Did you find some good crafts? Yarn also is beautiful. I'm on a yarn diet so living vicariously.

Have a lovely weekend!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Casa Pearl said...

Hi Heide! I love the color of your Picovili and Cowboy and I wish we were at your house today swimming in the pool. :-)

9:35 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Hello Heide! It is amazing seeing you all swimming in the pool when it is cold and chilly here. But it is good weather for knitting. ;o) Thank you for the link to my blog and the lovely comment about my new grand-daughter. :o)

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home