Sunday, July 16, 2006

Frogging, stinging, picking, gifting and joining!


Picovoli is a form-fitting, knitted version of a t-shirt. Picovoli should flow with the natural curves of one's body. It should move comfortably with the wearer. The pattern was meticulously written by Grumperina and countless knitters have executed her design with great success. So what in the world happened here? I did a test guage and adjusted my yarn and needle sizes accordingly... really. I thought it would fit as directed too. The size looked accurate right up until the point that I slipped it on to check my post-bustline decreases. Obviously it's wrong. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Picovoli is headed for the frog pond. That bites.

Where we live there is a big problem with yellow jackets. Summer months are spent scooping them out of the pool, spraying nests and making sure to not leave food or anything else out that will attract them. We've tried just about every kind of insecticide spray on the market, but they always come back. I average 3 stings per summer but until this year my daughters have been spared. The other night while sleepily digesting an evening meal my reverie was shattered with the most horrible sound imaginable to any mother. A3 was screaming. And this wasn't the "I'm pissed at my sister" or "I skinned my knee" screaming, it was sheer terror. She had wandered too close to a nest of yellow jackets and been stung several times. Luckily the stings were mostly limited to her legs, but one got her on the right eyebrow. We immediately applied a paste of baking soda, meat tenderizer and water and gave her Benadryl. This is what she looked like the next day. Luckily she only suffered local reactions. So now I'm on the prowl for an insecticide that really will work. If any of y'all know of some good (legal) bug killer then please let me know. Most of the stuff that worked has now been outlawed.

Before getting too hot I picked a little bit of lavender from our garden. There were lots of bumble bees, honey bees and butterflies to keep me company. I don't mind the honey or big bumbles, my hatred is limited to the waspy, hornety, yellow jackety kinds of bees. While picking away one of my neighbors came over with some fresh peas from her garden. Because they will be away for several weeks she generously offered to let me have her raspberries while they are away. I hacked ours up so bad during a pruning attempt that they aren't producing this year. Anyway, the peas will be kept raw and added to a garden salad.


In other news, Sherrill has the Apron Along up and running. She even has an awesome button available. Hopefully I'll remember how to post it to my sidebar this evening. Right now I'm off to the garage to look through my fabric stash!

10 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Aww - poor kid! That's terrible. I hope she's feeling better. I had to get a pest control guy to come out when we had ground bees.

Those peas look so nice!

3:46 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Oh, I hope she feels better soon! How scary (I'm terrified of bees, yellowjackets, etc.)...

4:34 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

How frustrating about the need to frog this piece, but better now than near the end right? Re: the wasp stings - ouch. We get the small paper wasps in profusion here in summer and their sting is nasty too. Hope A3 feels better fast! The peas and lavender look fantastic. Nothing like the bounty of summer!

4:50 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

I don't have an insecticide but my DH has a tried and true remedy for stings: pickle juice. And I know it works as my DD got stung when she was four and five minutes later it was gone. And she would have let us know if it still hurt. He's also used it on himself as an adult and had the same result. Miraculous (and odd). We have lots of yellow jackets here, too, they nest at the next door neighbors.

I'm terribly jealous of your raspberries! Sorry abou the sweater. Sometimes swatches lie (thus sayeth the Yarn Harlot).

Have a great evening!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Terby said...

Ow ow ow. That looks so painful. Wish I had a useful suggestion. You made a good call on frogging picovoli. Try #2 will be much better!

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEOWCH. I totally understand - when I was five I stepped in a yellowjacket nest. I'll never forget it. *shudder*

My grandma put the same paste on me 30-ish years ago...

I hope she's feeling better :o\

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, your poor little one! I'm so horrified by yellow jackets and try to avoid them like the plague, but sometimes one just doesn't have a chance! I sure hope that your girl is feeling much better now and that it doesn't hurt that much anymore!
So sorry to hear about your Picovoli! Sometimes patterns seem to work perfectly for some, but miraculously not at all for others - heavens know why this is the case :(

1:46 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Poor baby. I am fascinated by the pickle juice idea. If it works, how wonderful. Inexpensive and can usually be found in the frigde. The sweater most definitely has issues. I HATE TO FROG, but the yarn is beautiful and it will be worth it to do it again so that it fits. Can't wait to see the fabric you choose. I have some old quilting fabric I'm going to use. It's good cotton and won't go to waste and won't cost. Always something that makes me happy. Watch out for those nasty wasps. We don't have them nearly that bad until fall. If it's really a dry fall, then we are inundated. Looks like that'll happen this year.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Poor baby. I am fascinated by the pickle juice idea. If it works, how wonderful. Inexpensive and can usually be found in the frigde. The sweater most definitely has issues. I HATE TO FROG, but the yarn is beautiful and it will be worth it to do it again so that it fits. Can't wait to see the fabric you choose. I have some old quilting fabric I'm going to use. It's good cotton and won't go to waste and won't cost. Always something that makes me happy. Watch out for those nasty wasps. We don't have them nearly that bad until fall. If it's really a dry fall, then we are inundated. Looks like that'll happen this year.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Owie Kazowie! That brought back instant flashbacks of my own childhood experiences with wasps. No fun no fun no fun. A3 looks like she has a terrific attitude and is quite the little trooper. Your booty from the garden looks fabulous. I tried to transplant some lavender this year and it failed miserably...I'll have to run out and buy some little plants.

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home