Monday, July 17, 2006

Why am I getting flowers?

Look at what my dear friend, Marta, sent me! Aren't they pretty?

Marta and I met years ago when I worked for the City of Bellingham's Finance Department. She worked for Municipal Court directly across from me. One day I noticed that she had a calendar from Finland on her wall and we started talking. Turns out that her parents were from Finland (my Grandpa is too). We were both called "pahaska housa" (probably spelled wrong) as a term of endearment as children. Roughly translated it means "shitty pants". Don't ask, I don't understand that myself. Anyway, Marta is to this day one of my dearest friends. She'll give you the shirt off of her back and always find something humorous when everything is going to hell. She's been through a lot in her life, including three husbands, being a single mom and worst of all, the loss of her only daughter, Elaine. Through everything she remains strong and positive. Someday I hope to be half as wonderful as Marta.

So why is this wonderful lady sending me beautiful flowers? Tomorrow is my 39th birthday... crap, that's close to 40. Honestly, I've been so busy that I lost track of time and for the life of me, I couldn't fathom why flowers were being delivered. Luckily she had the foresight to have "Happy Birthday" on the card or I would have remained in the dark. Could this be early dementia?

I cast on a pair of socks this morning. Something quick and easy may help offset yesterday's disappointment with Pico-I-don't think so-voli. I've also narrowed my apron choices for the Apron-along down to something that covers my entire front and something with pockets.

Happy Monday everyone!

8 Comments:

Blogger Gina House said...

Happy PreBirthday, Heide!!!! Your flowers are so gorgeous..I'm jealous! Picovoli not coming along well? Is it hard to knit up? Wish I had the arms to wear that sort of tank. Have a terrific day tomorrow! Gina : )

1:05 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday!

I guess that nickname is like being called stinkybutt in American? :)

2:25 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Happy un-birthday! :) Beautiful bouquet!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Happy early birthday!!!! Sounds like you and Marta have a very special and rare friendship.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

Have a very Happy Birthday, Heide and a wonderful year to follow.
Cheers and love Gillian

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday :o))

5:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! I'll let you in on a little secret - EVERYTHING gets better, much better after 40 (winky winky).

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, and may all your dreams come true in this new year of yours!

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home