Sunday, July 23, 2006

Sunday

Lorinda is holding a yarn contest! In order to be entered into the drawing you must find 5 things about her on her blog and post them in her "comments" section. Go check it out, she has lots of material to work with as this is in celebration of her 400th post!

Yesterday I had a surprize visit from an old friend. Not to say that she is old, but rather that we met in 4th grade and wreaked havoc on our parents' insanity during our Junior High and High School years. Karma is kicking in too, while we were catching up over coffee my eldest wandered into the kitchen and proclaimed, "I'm entering puberty, I'm starting to get hair..." . Before she could finish the sentence I whisked her out of the room. Luckily the said friend has children (Yes, Trek, it would have been worse had she been naive to the antics of children). I enjoyed seeing her and her children, but she has been through a lot over the past few years and I'm sorry to hear about that. She's strong and smart though, many people in her situation would have broken.

I managed to finish a pair of socks yesterday. It's bloody hot here but we have a heat pump that keeps the house nice and cool. My point is, that many knitters world wide have a valid reason for avoiding fiber, I can't claim such hardships, I'm just lazy. I dyed the yarn for these with some Wilton food coloring. The pictures show the socks much lighter than the colors in person. There are lots of dark browns and even some hints of black and the orange isn't quite this bright. I call the color "Nutmeg" and the pattern is one of my old favorites.

Hopefully my Jaywalkers will be finished today. I finished the pieces for my Liv sweater, but I don't know if blocking will be accomplished today.

Tomorrow the girls and I are taking a trip up to Bellingham to visit friends there. Rumor has it that there are FOUR yarn stores and I hope to check out at least one of them.

Yesterday I received some dps that I purchased from an eBay seller. They were shipped promptly and the price was extremely low at 13 sets of 5 each for $25.00, including shipping. They are brand new and still in their packages. Unfortunately, the bamboo is unfinished. As a result, the yarn "sticks" to the wood and it feels like knitting with chalk. I'm going to talk with my brother about the best way to finish these. Hopefully they can be rendered usable without too much work.

I know what I want to make now for the apron along. I just need time. Because B is away for National Guard Annual Field Training the kidlets are keeping me busy 24x7 for several weeks.



10 Comments:

Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Nice socks! I, of course, meant to bring all of my Wiltons for Star the other day (I am on Lanaset now) and forgot, eejit! I will just have to see her again!

Have a fun and safe journey. And visit all four yarn shops!

6:35 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Aww, too bad for sticky chalk needles. I hope your brother can help you get them finished up nice and slick. Oooh, four yarn stores - sounds like fun!!

6:43 PM  
Blogger MrsFife said...

Hi! Came over from Grumperina's blog. Nice place you have here. Now, flattery over ;) would you consider a knitter in India a "charity" to give your surplus (!) needles to? (I don't mind the Red Heart either ... only half kidding.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Disentangled said...

Hi - you are totally right on the rhino guess! Send me your name and address to disknits at yahoo and I will send you your prize :-)

10:37 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I'm sorry you're suffering from the heat as well. And I just noticed you won another contest. You rock!! Have fun with the girls and do check out the shops. You never know when they might have a sale!! I do love your socks. The color is just lovely.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love how your socks turned out, and the color of the yarn is just gorgeous!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Nice socks!! :)

8:32 AM  
Blogger Quilt'n & Scrap'n TruckRLady said...

I need one of those Calgon kinda days, but why is it when we do get away from home, the kiddo's are always in tow...
Oh well...guess that's life ;)

Hope ya had fun in B'ham, WA...

3:32 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Nice legs there Heide, the socks aint bad either!!! :) wish I could be closer to help out with the kids, its hard when hubster's are gone or to busy to help. :) prayers for your friend also. :)

4:48 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

The socks look great! Glad to see you continuing to knit despite the heat. :o)

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home