Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Checking in between road trips

We arrived home last night from our trek to Bellingham. B & I lived there for about 10 years and we share many fond memories of places and people there. The girls and I arrived at Marta and Dale's house shortly after lunch. She has remodeled her kitchen and their back yard is like a mini-paradise. They seem so very happy together and her grandson, Nicholas, is staying with them.


Marta accompanied us to The Wool Station in Fairhaven where I found just the right yarn to make a vest for my sister. It is machine washable 100% wool from Australia and it's very soft. She wanted something neutral and this fits the bill nicely. I'm winging the pattern. Just a basic seed stitch with simple cabling.




From there we stopped briefly by
Karen's house before checking into the hotel. Dale came by to pick up Marta and he brought with him the sad news that her friend, Dude, had passed away. We are so sorry for Marta and everyone else who loved him.



The girls went swimming and then we ventured over to Karen's again where she fixed us all some yummy BBQ for dinner. She then presented me with a wonderful surprize. It's a birthday/Christmas present for several years' running... it's a stunningly beautiful quilt! She made this for me and I love it. I don't know what the pattern is, but there are flowers quilted throughout the plain muslin and she even signed the back. Thank you Karen!

The girls played with her 3 kids for awhile and then we left to do a bit of a drive-about. Our old house is for sale and it was interesting to see how skewed property prices are now in Bellingham. And from what I can gather, they've actually leveled out and even came down a few thousand over the past year or two. This same house was for sale about 3 years ago and they were asking about $300,000. The amount of development in Whatcom County is amazing too. It's just not the same quiet town I remember.

The next morning we visited again at Karen's then made some pb&j sandwiches and walked around the Western Washington University campus. B & I both graduated from there many years ago. The campus wasn't immune from development either. The rugby field, one of the football fields, the soccer field and the place where I took archery have all been replaced with buildings. A1 proclaimed she wants to go there someday too.



A3 became ill on the way home and wouldn't you know it, there were accidents and traffic was backed up. It took over 5 hours to drive back. I've cleaned most of the vomit out of the van, but I'm waiting for it to cool down before I shampoo the seats, etc. Once again, it's too hot for outside activities. We're supposed to leave tomorrow evening for my sister's house and then on from there to my mom and dad's.

13 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Ah, vomit and car trips. Why do they always seem to go together? Glad that you are having a nice road trips!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

My middle sister was the sick one so she always got the window seat and the side of the car got hosed when we got back!!!
All us ozzies know that Heirloom wool well. It's a reliably good wool and is well priced here for family garment knitting. Good luck with it.
Cheers Gillian

5:13 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Hope the little one is feeling better. She's had a couple of these this summer hasn't she? Poor kid (and Mom). Your trip sounds lovely. The quilt is incredible. What a fabulous gift. Have fun at Mom and Dad's. You had me laughing out loud (again). I don't really think DT would save me from a baby squirrel much less a raging river (good guess on the Missouri...I'm between that one and the Mississippi). And there is no way in hell that I'll knit two of these. You need to help me decide the length, girl.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Sorry about the ride home! They always happens together, vomit and traffic. My stepdad thinks moms with babies shouldn't be allowed in the carpool lanes but I say, get the woman going mad from listening to the screaming in the back seat off the road as quickly as possible, please!

6:28 PM  
Blogger Heide said...

Sopranospinner, does your stepdad think that because children are small and shouldn't count as a full-person unless there are multiple children or is he concerned about distractions from the noice, etc.? Heck, I'd opt for duct taping the little darlings to the luggage rack during some trips. Just kidding.
My pet peeve while driving: A lady in an obnoxiously large SUV with sunglasses and a baseball cap. She has her cute little ponytail pulled through the back of her baseball cap and in one of her well-manicured hands is a cell-phone and in the other is a latte. I swear this woman has been cloned and copies can be found driving in and near all larger cities.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Heide, if you look at your yarn label, I live roughly where the 'M' hits the land area ;)

3:34 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Sounds like a great trip. The quilt is gorgeous! I love quilts!

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to let you know that I just e-mailed you a copy of the ring code from the RingSurf admin. site. You’re listed as a member of the Fiber Arts Bloggers webring, but your blog is in the queue at the moment as you haven’t the ring code up on your blog. If you want to e-mail me when you have the ring code back up and whatnot, I’ll check it out and get you back into the ring as quickly as I can. Let me know if you need any help! :)

5:21 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Heide, I think his objection is that it's there to get additional cars off the road. Kids don't drive so they're not reducing the traffic. I think there are too few people in the carpool lane as it is and when we can use it, we should use it. He's a great guy, though, just has some pet peeves.

How come every time a driver does something REALLY stupid they're on the phone?

8:47 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

The quilt is GORGEOUS!! Lucky you!! You must be a very good friend for someone to make this for you because I KNOW how much work goes into a quilt. You don't just make one on a whim. :o)

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing your impressions of your trip and these great pics, it's been so interesting reading through what you've been up to! That quilt is truly amazing, and oh, I so love the yarn that you bought!

9:45 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Poor Kid!!! I hate it when they get sick in the car or anywhere for that matter. What a nice trip for you guys to share, nice to get away for a while isnt it? What an awsome gift you got huh? Great to have friends like that, I need to find me one of them.... ;)

4:11 AM  
Blogger Sherrill said...

Hey there...we received Jake's housing assignment today. Fairhaven. Any advise? He's in a non-alcohol zone suite.

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home