Thursday, September 07, 2006

We're still upset over Steve Irwin's sudden death. I mean heck, if this man who successfully flirted with dangerous beasts unscathed for years can be killed so quickly then the rest of us poor saps seem even more vulnerable. The girls and I enjoyed watching his shows and they are pretty sad. My heart goes out to his wife, children and other friends and family.

I'm 1/2 way through installing vinyl tiles of the adhesive sort. They were very cheap and considering the unevenness (is that a real word?) of our floor there weren't too many options. There is no way in the world that I could wrangle a large roll of flooring and standard tiles are way too heavy. I just hope this crap stays stuck. I've never used them or lived with them before and I have no idea how well they hold up.

I've started installing drywall too. Obviously it was much needed. The fugly panelling wasn't only dated, dark and dreary but poorly installed too. Visions of drunk monkeys with hammers comes to mind. There are large areas with no nails and then other places where the nails are only inches apart. The edges have uneven gaps which were hidden behind awful foam strips. I think these strips are what is used for molding in trailers.

Last night I painted the back of the house where B installed the new siding. It may require a second coat, but only daylight will tell.

I'm sore. I miss knitting. I frogged part of the SKB and decreased above the ribbed section. I also chose to only use the beads on the first row of each lace pattern instead of the 1st and 3rd rows. The beads were distracting from the lace pattern. I hope to work on it again next week.

Cheers all.

11 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Ha ha ha, drunk monkeys with hammers. I think the former owners of my house hired those same drunk monkeys too!! Talk about lack of pride in workmanship. Hope all the renovations are done soon and you can get happily back to knitting. :)

4:58 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

No wonder you're sore with all that home improvement! You'll be happy when it's all done though.

6:10 AM  
Blogger sheep#100 said...

At first I thought that the cat was a strangely shaped hole in the floor - then I enlarged... Whew!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

We used the sticky tiles in our kitchen in our Brooklyn apartment years ago and had no problems with the floor. Just sore backs from the installation!

6:52 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I think it looks wonderful. Great job! The kitty likes it too. How much left to go? Can you see the end of the tunnel? Hang in kiddo!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Terby said...

That's some serious home improvement. Puts my efforts to shame.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someday I will mail you the tape of my house pre-renovation. It will make you feel SO much better, trust me. ;o)

4:38 PM  
Blogger Ye Merrie Quilter said...

Your cat is camouflaged! I just got a shocker from my handy-ma'am with the bill for her hours for the past two weeks--over $500! Gaaak! I thought we'd be a lot further along on our list of things by now, but we end up wasting a lot of time looking for tools. Do you have a hammer? Do you have a wrench? Do you have some tape? Do you have....? Sometimes she's just not prepared.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

I was worried about the hole in the floor too and then I put my glasses on. I was waiting for the next picture to appear and show how neatly you had filled it in. Great work Heide!
Cheers Gillian

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve Irwin, rest in peace.

Love the do-it-yourself home improvement! I indulge in a fair number of these kinds of projects myself. Hey, even when they turn out poorly, at least they are good for a few laughs!

But I have high hopes for your efforts. Keep up the good work, Heide!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think the drunk monkeys were playing with my knitting!

We're still in post-Steve shock too. Living in his home state, only about 2 and a 1/2 hours from the zoo, the media has been saturated. My youngest has cried every night. All way too sad.

Give your kids a hug and let them know the zoo continues, Bindi is being very strong and we are all positive Steve is still with the wildlife and very happy. He wouldn't want anyone to be sad.

The family have politely refused a State funeral, but there will be a memorial service.

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home