Sunday, August 27, 2006

Fried food, apologies and quitting.

Hey there, a few months back one of the ladies from down under was inquiring whethor or not black-eyed-peas and collard greens, etc. were real food or just funny sounding names. Well, here's a picture showing some foods served regularly in the southeastern U.S.

Clockwise: The top, smaller dish contains collard greens with onions, ham and vinegar. At 2:00 we have fried okra. 5:00 is blackeyed peas. Where 7:00 would be you'll find fried green tomatoes and finally, at 10:00 is cornbread with honey. To the right of the plate is a glass of sweet tea.

It seems I may have spoke in haste regarding the real estate agents representing our house. According to a different agent in a different city, many of the reasons for not doing an open house and placing ads in real estate magazines were valid. This doesn't necessarily mean that they are doing all they can, but rather that I need to lighten up on them for the time being and just keep talking with them. In other words, I'm sorry for calling them deadbeat losers this early on in the game. I'm so ashamed.

Speaking of being ashamed... I gave up the notion of a garage sale. I'm not organized enough to pull it off with the amount of time at hand. So today I bagged up all of the clothes to be donated to a family shelter and virtually everything else was piled by the road in front of our house with a "FREE" sign. I do not exaggerate when I say that most items were gone within 1/2 hour. Who would have thought that shirking responsibility could feel so good. I'm free!

Lest you think I've quit absolutely all of my duties then let me assure you that I did cast on a sock last night and I knit during the early morning hours. Okay, so this isn't really a duty, but they are destined for the Christmas box. That's kind of responsible.

14 Comments:

Blogger sheep#100 said...

We live on a secondary road and if we put something to the curb, it doesn't last until nightfall - ever.

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We went to a diner-like place at MGM and I had fried chicken with collard greens (which I ate - and made Dobby try, just 'cuz I'm mean like that) ;o)

Nice Fiestaware ;o)

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the FREE sign thing. A friend and I both put stuff out at the end of our driveways. We have a running contest to see whose stuff gets snatched up first. So far I'm winning: Once a person came and took an old crappy computer table before I had made it back into the house!

3:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Mmmm, I'd love a big pile of (almost) everything on that plate!! (I'm not a pea person, unless it's my SweetPea!!) I just made collard greens last week. Don't ask me how an Italian/English/Polish girl from New England got hooked on cooking collards, but I sure do love them!!

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly people will take things when they are free. Also, the crap people will take when it's free (not that your's was crap - I'm sure it wasn't if it was headed for a garage sale!!)

5:48 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Marking something "free" will get rid of stuff so quickly.

Why no open houses in your area? Where I live, open houses are used all the time fairly successfully.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Smart lady. Although you didn't make any money, you made time. Sometimes, that's much much better. I love the sock. I'm hoping it's a mansock because it looks really huge from here. And exactly how Southern are you? Southern Washington? I'm not much on the collard greens, but everything else is nummy. A good fried green tomato is to die for, isn't it?

7:19 AM  
Blogger Gillian said...

I think it was me who wanted to know what collard greens were but I still haven't got round to trying them. I would love to know how to do fried green tomatoes and what to expect them to taste like.
Freebies walk away from the roadsides here too. And if you order a skip to dump renovation and building rubbish in, the contents seem to change a few times as people help themselves and put things in them. You have to be quick or they can fill up before you dump your own stuff.
Still hoping the sale comes soon.
Cheers Gillian

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this food looks so absolutely yummy, I got hungry with just looking at the pic! And I do love the sock you did - it must be a man's sock though, isn't it? Great colors!

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's not a sock it's a willy warmer for the Mister.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

We are some of the people who benefit from those "Free" things on the curb. Sometimes they are really nice (read, nicer than the stuff we have now). So thanks for whoever came!

Sounds like you're keeping your sanity much better than I would be in your situation. I'm having trouble getting up and running with homework and piano lessons. Congratulations!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

you are so funny - nothing feels better than giving...but maybe something that makes ya feel a bit better is in your right hand in a brown bottle? hhhmmmmmmmmmmm :) Glad you decided not to stress yourself anymore than you already are. If you need to chat let me know - I am right here for ya! :)

8:51 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

btw - could anonymous up there be "the Mister"? ****rolls eyes at the the Willy Warmer****

8:52 AM  
Blogger Heide said...

Yes, the mister was "tooting his own horn" so to speak.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Ye Merrie Quilter said...

Love the sock! Can you make me a sweater to match? Hee hee!

Love, Karen

12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home