Monday, September 25, 2006

Shopping

Yesterday my sister drove up from Rochester to take A1 on her birthday shopping trip. I acted as chauffeur for the two. My sister has 1 child. He is 17 years old, has never been in trouble, gets excellent grades and is every parents' dream child. He wore whatever was given to him when younger and now he buys his own clothes.
A1 is 10 years old. She is moderatly well-behaved but she wants to be a fashion designer. She is very particular about her wardrobe. She is too big for most children's clothes and women's clothes don't fit her properly yet. As a result, shopping for her presents special challenges. Striking a balance between what she likes and what I deem is appropriate often has us leaving stores empty-handed. But in all fairness to A1 many of the hooker shirts, short skirts, etc. even have her saying, "No way!"
So what happens when one unsuspecting aunt is thrown in the retail jungle to help scavenge for acceptable pre-teen clothing? Heh, heh, heh.


This outfit is from Gymboree (Children's clothing store for those of you who don't have children). This is what Auntie had in mind.




This outfit is from Gen-X. This store caters to teens and the hip-hop type crowd. Stores like Old Navy, Gottschalks, Burlington Coat Factory and Ross Dress for less had basically the same offerings, but down one notch on the slut chart. These stores were more A1's speed.

After the 3rd store my sister's eye was twitching. And I didn't even have time to comment on clothing because she nixed it before the mean old mom could. At one point she proclaimed, "I'm glad I have a boy!" as she sat on the floor outside a dressing room waiting for the latest reveal. Ho-bag outfit viewing had worn her out.

At the end of 3 hours A1 had 5 shirts, one skirt and a jacket. Here is her "wild" shirt and the skirt.


I really like the little olive colored jacket that she bought... if it was only a couple of sizes bigger then I could borrow it.


My face hurts today from laughing so much at my sister's horrified reactions. I was able to sneak away to a Michael's (not my usual location) and pick up the beads necessary to finish my sweater.


It was a good day.











8 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

I feel for your sister. I see my nieces and cringe. They are 19 and 24. It's like I'm in the Twilight Zone. I bleed for you and B. You'll be like deer in headlights for the next 10 years, poor things. I am glad you got your beads though. Now, you can go back to your SKB KAL.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Sounds like a tiring day. Glad you managed some laughs. Raising girls it is important to keep a sense of humour. Trust me on this one. My two are now 21 and 19 and I remember the phase you are describing very well.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Scoutj said...

Hooray for good days.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I can't believe some of the crazy, slutty styles that are in right now. I'm worried what I'm going to be up against when my daughter gets older. *shudder*

8:29 AM  
Blogger Gillian said...

In Queen Victoria's days they even covered up the table legs with floor length table cloths. What would the old queen think now?
If your daughter is happy with what she is wearing and you can cope with her being seen in public in it and her aunt is paying for it...then I say everything sounds just fine.
Cheers Gillian

8:05 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

Hello again, thanks for your kind words. Pommy is the Australian nickname for any English person and a brolly is an umbrella.
Cheers Gillian

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is such a funny post. I don't have children, but I was just telling my mom the other day that I really feel for my friends who have girls because the clothing options these days are just so...slutty. And for such young kids, too!

Anyway, I'm impressed with parents and all that they do. Not an easy role.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Ye Merrie Quilter said...

I'm really dreading the upcoming years of trashy slut clothes and suggestive T's that I'm sure my eldest will want to buy. Rightnow she's perfectly happy in long shirts and she thinks it's rude to show your belly button. I think I trained her well so far. DD#2...she's a wild one. Maybe she can model for Abercrombie & Fitch and make us millionaires.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home