Thursday, March 02, 2006

Book List Meme & general goings on

Instructions: Look at the list of books below. Bold the ones you've read, italicize the ones you might read, cross out the ones you won't, underline the ones on your book shelf, and place (parentheses) around the ones you've never even heard of.

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams
The Great Gatsby - F.Scott Fitzgerald
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
(His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - J. K. Rowling
Life of Pi - Yann Martel
Animal Farm: A Fairy Story - George Orwell
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
The Hobbit - J. R. R. Tolkien
(The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon)
Lord of the Flies - William Golding
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
1984 - George Orwell
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J. K. Rowling
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
(The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini)
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut
Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
(Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk)
(Neuromancer - William Gibson)
Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson
(The Secret History - Donna Tartt)
A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - C. S. Lewis
(Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides)
(Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell)
The Lord of the Rings - J. R. R. Tolkien
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
(Good Omens - Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman)
(Atonement - Ian McEwan)
(The Shadow Of The Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon)
The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
Dune - Frank Herbert

If you are reading this then consider yourself tagged!

I wonder who made up this original list and how they decided which books to include. Oh well, I obviously haven't had lots of reading time during the past few years (kidlets and all keep me busy).



I've been working a little bit on my Fair Isle cardigan. I know that I've completely messed up this whole steeking business so far and it should be interesting come cutting time to see if it holds together.



This is what the body tube looks like .





I like the way the back side of the sweater looks when using the two-handed Fair Isle method. This looks so much neater than having wide loops hanging that can get caught up on things.




And here is what the inside looks like.






The sleeves are supposed to knit up really fast for this. My motivation for finishing this is that I want to make something out of some Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino. This project will be completely selfish as I intend to make something for me instead of a baby. The yarn is so soft and guess what...? It isn't green, it's red! I feel so adventurous! The elusive, perfect pattern
hasn't been found yet, but I'm a lookin'.



On the non-knitting side of life, chaos reigns supreme. I have not made one little tiny bit of progress on finishing the drywall, painting, getting the gutters put up or anything else. In fact, other than just the bare necessities of feeding, dressing and getting the girls to school, girl scouts, birthday parties, etc. not much of anything has been accomplished. The only reason that the knitting has any progress is that I keep it in the van (which broke down last weekend).

But more seriously, my Mom is sick. She's been in pain for two weeks and unable to hardly move. She's been to the doctor twice and to the emergency room too. So far they have no idea what is wrong with her. One doctor just gave her an antibiotic and sent her home. Another gave her pain killers and sent her home. She was going back today to see if she could get a referral for some tests. If somebody doesn't start actually doing something I'm going to go postal on the doctors. Misogyny is alive and well in the medical world. So often men's complaints are addressed aggressively, while women receive a condescending pat on the head and a "go away" pill.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I hope your mom gets a good doctor this time, one who actually takes the time to figure out what is wrong. I know it's alway more scary when you don't know whats wrong. I'll keep your mom in my thoughts.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Sherrill said...

I'm not the best drywaller...I can sand though. I'm good for just about anything with directions and question answering, soooo...if you need ANY help, you call me. I mean it. I know you won't but tomorrow when I see ya I'll slip you my cell #.

Keep me posted on your Mom. Sounds like someone needs to go with her to the doctors to give them a "jolt".

I'll see ya later...the Fair Isle is looking lovely. Don't worry about the steek, I did mine without one...and sewed/cut/sewed like a mad knitting woman once I was ready to turn it into a cardigan.

Talk to you soon.
S.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Heide, I'm so sorry about your Mom. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. When it rains, it pours, doesn't it? The van is fixed, I hope? I LOVE your fair isle. You knit beautifully. I also am deeply in love (it's not physical) with your red yarn. What about a Ribby Cardi? I think you'd look great in a red one. Check with you later. I joined Project Spectrum and your red yarn is the color for March/April.

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the lovely bones.. i love that book..

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home