Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The "Big Project" that killed crochet for me.




I've had people ask me before if I crochet as well as knit. I emphatically answer that I don't crochet. This three piece set is why. After many mistakes, countless ripping out and doing entire sections over and over again I had created an entirely new language... most of which is unsuitable and not be repeated. Anyway, I based the sleeves and yoke of this on a Christening gown that my friend, Vida, and her mother had made for Amber. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how they made the pineapples on the skirt of Amber's gown. That part of my gown was torn apart so many times that the yarn finally unraveled and had to be thrown away. Eventually I gave up on the pineapples and made crosses instead. When it was done I reveled in the glory of my pattern-less first big (not granny squares) attempt at crocheting. I proudly marched into the Home Arts Pavilian at the Puyallup Fair Grounds with the set and regally laid it on the entry table for the little old ladies to catalog and admire. Beulah and Ethel May (not their real names) hardly even glanced at it except to stick my entry tag on it. Then one of them unceremoniously tossed it into a pile with other items. When the fair opened we all went down to see the judging results. After searching through the rows of display cases Brian located my Christening Gown set. It had garnered a red ribbon and second place. Such accolades should have made me happy; however, the blue ribbon went to a Christening Gown set with those stupid pineapples on the skirt. I ask you, what do pineapples have to do with Christening or religion anyway? I don't even think they had those at the last supper.
Sheesh.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sherrill said...

OMG Heide...that is beautiful. What a piece. I could see never, ever wanting to go back to crochet ever again. You are an inspiration to all of us-long term projects can be finished. I hope this will become a family treasure and passed from child to child for christenings.

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home